Summertime will be here before you know it which means many families are starting to think about how they will be spending the summer holidays once school is out. A really great way to spend quality family time is by booking a family camping trip. Not only are camping trips a fun and memorable activity for the whole family, they are super economical and a healthy way to unplug. An added bonus, by your kids getting to know the country’s National Parks, they can develop a lifelong appreciation for their environment and develop a respect for nature.
As many parents know, kids don’t have the attention span that adults do and if you happen to have one of those kids that says “I’m bored” all the time, then having an arsenal of fun activities will make their love of camping even greater.
Here is our list of top 10 activities that you can play with your kids at any camp site, even if they get bored easily.
- Nature Scavenger Hunt. What kid doesn’t love a scavenger hunt? A hunt is also a great way to get your child to start recognizing different plants and animal prints in the environment, helping them to truly “see” and experience their surroundings. All hunts should be planned with the utmost safety. These links provide great instructions on how to plan a great scavenger hunt.
- Campfire Family Feud. This one is great if you plan on going with another family. Instructions found here.
- Campsite Olympics. Plan a few different Olympic sport activities and let the games begin! Don’t forget to make some medals! This one will be a fun one to return to year over year. Here are a list of sports that work well for kids of all ages: Backyard Olympics.
- Night Bowling. All that is needed is some empty bottles, glow sticks and a hamster ball. This can also work as a ring toss game, those glow in the dark necklaces work like a charm. Glow In The Dark Bowling Instructions.
- Giant Jenga with a Twist. This one requires a little room for packing and some creativity but your kids will love it. Using just a few pieces from a your local hardware store you can easily make a giant jenga game. Kick it up a notch with these ideas Childhood 101 and it will keep the game going. From photo credit: childhood101.com
- Jeopardy. A la Ross Gellar, make your own Family Jeopardy Board. Warning: the answers your kids come up with may shock and surprise you. Instructions on How to Make A DIY Jeopardy Board Here.
- Musical Chairs. A classic game to play around the campfire and great one for the little ones is Musical Chairs, winner get’s the first s’more!
- Nature Hunt Bingo. Similar to the scavenger hunt, this one get’s kids interacting with their surroundings and can even be played on a nature walk or hike. Nature Bingo Instructions.
- Dodgeball “Protect The Queen” version. No need for walls in this one so it can be played anywhere and all you need is a ball and at least 4 people. Instructions Here.
- Sleeping Bag Races. Everyone looks ridiculous playing this game, especially mom and dad which means your kids will love it. Best part is, all you need is your sleeping bag! Making it into a relay style game with added activities like ring toss will prolong the fun! Here is list of more activities you can easily do camping.
We hope you enjoyed this list. Get outside this summer and enjoy the beauty of nature. After all your activities a great way to relax would be on one of out double hammocks which can easily fit 3 kids!